The effective practice of case management requires that the Case Manager be skilled in, and feel comfortable with, managing their own emotions and helping others manage theirs. This dialogue considers: how "coping strategies" and "self-care" relate to "skills in managing emotions" in the context of the delivery of case management services; where emotions "come from" and how they can be useful; the role of "mindfulness" in understanding and managing emotions; cognitive and behavioral strategies for managing emotions; and cautions in addressing difficult emotions.
Participants will be able to…
1. Describe how coping strategies and self-care relate to skills in managing emotions in the context of the delivery of case management services
2. Identify at least three (3) factors/dynamics which determine emotions.
3. Describe the role(s)/function(s) of "mindfulness" in "managing emotions"
4. Describe three (3) cognitive strategies to regulating emotions.
5. Identify at least three (3) behavioral strategies to regulating emotions.