Every candidate for election or transfer to the class of Fellows shall satisfy the Council of the following:
Member of IKMAL for at least 5-years & attained a superior position of responsibility in the maritime field for at least three (3) years & made a significant contribution to the objectives of IKMAL and/or to the maritime industry; should not be less than 35 years of age.
Benefits of joining IKMAL
- Acknowledged as being a maritime professional – able to provide ideas, & proposals for the improvement of Malaysia's maritime sector using IKMAL as a platform;
- Members' welfare and privileges being taken care of;
- Availing of IKMAL's Group Personal Accident coverage gratis;
- For those pursuing upgrades of certificates of competency/proficiency (CoC/CoP) – chance of availing the Seafarers' Education Fund (SEF) grants as reimbursement of part of course fees;
- Offer of financial assistance to deserving members facing emergency dire straits;
- Opportunity to participate in IKMAL-organised Conferences/Seminars/Webinars/Workshops/Courses/Other Events at a discounted rate;
- Excellent professional networking opportunity within the maritime fraternity;
- Receipt of MARINERS MALAYSIA, IKMAL's professional magazine;
- Chance to participate in Social and Sporting activities organised by IKMAL.